TENNIS IS…Fun and Healthy!
12th February 2018
• A sport for a lifetime.
• A sport where men and women can play together, or compete against each other.
• A sport that families can play together.
• Great for fitness – an hour of singles play can burn 580-870 calories
(British Journal of Sports Medicine, 2006).
• Ideal for developing key physical skills such as coordination, agility and balance.
• Strengthens your heart, muscles and bones – compared to other sports, tennis players have the lowest incidence of cardiovascular disease (John Hopkins University).
• Great for improving social skills – it outperforms all other sports in developing positive personality characteristics (Dr. Jim Gavin, Concordia University).
• An ideal sport for players living with a disability: https://www.tennisireland.ie/clubs/enjoy-tennis/.
• Contributes to adolescent health - tennis players reported lower rates of unhealthy behavior such as drinking and smoking, and are less likely to be overweight or become obese (United States Tennis Association).
Tennis Ireland is the National Governing Body for the game: www.tennisireland.ie.
Leinster Tennis is Tennis Ireland’s Provincial Branch: www.leinstertennis.ie.
Parks Tennis organizes tennis on public courts around the country: www.parkstennis.com
For a list of Tennis Ireland affiliated Tennis Clubs in your area, please click here